Friday, September 7, 2012

Finished the 48

 Completed the last of the 48 Peaks over 4000, Mt. Carrigain, 4700 ft.
Met up with two brothers-in-law of French descent. One was hard of hearing and the other lectured about edible mushrooms. They made the hike a little easier. Sometimes company does that.
The surrounding summits were in and out of the clouds. Everything changed on this hike. Socks, food, hairdo. Not even half way through, I had used all my emergency supplies of caffeine and bandaids.
 "What now?" one of the men asked at the summit firetower deck.
 I thought, "I need to get down and to the car."
I said aloud, "All those mountains in Maine."
Of the 48, my favorite trail was a toss up between the Ammonusuc to Mt. Washington and the Blueberry Ledges to Whiteface. Those trails were steep, with scary ledges, some exposure and dicey. The ones I probably won't return to are Owls Head and Isolation, long slogs for little-to-no views. The most difficult for me was Wildcat. Book time on Wildcat was 2 hours and it took me 5.5 hrs. My favorite summit was Lafayette because of the beauty of Franconia Ridge.
And now, on to the next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment