Thursday, February 24, 2011

Feb 24

This morning I have been thinking about the physician's code, Primum non nocere. This is Latin for "First, do no harm." It is the same as one of the tenets of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras, Ahimsa, the Sanskrit for nonharming. But self-help gurus all caution to put statements in the positive, not the negative.
The physician's code restated in the positive would be as follows: First, help; Or, First, assist; Primum adiuvo.
Or, First, bless.
Primum benedicere.

I think I will write to the American Medical Association, or publish in the New England Journal of Medicine. They've been waiting to hear this.

4 comments:

  1. My first comment is in the aether...so if it emerges later, I apologize.
    Primoris , facio nusquam. First, do nothing. Nonmaleficence - "Given an existing problem, it may be better not to do something, or even to do nothing, than to risk causing more harm than good." I hope this fulfills your quest for a more positive statement. As this is not a self-help dictum, I would question the wisdom of changing a 2400 year old code because of some idiot guru. Did you know that the positive of "not sundance" is moondance. hee-hee...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I accept the dork - a socially inept person, and the knob - a rounded protuberance. But shouldn't you use a more positive name for the negative anti-declinator, such as straight?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, no... Your Latin is declined improperly.

    ReplyDelete