Sunday, May 15, 2011

Roynish Ides of May

New-to-me vocabulary pops up in a science fiction novel.  Used to describe demon spawn, as in "roynish creatures with blind obsidian eyes", roynish means mangy, scabby, troublesome.  It is a fine adjective to use for nearly every noun referring to demons. 
Without her morning coffee, she remains a seething roynish lump of malign.  Editors would insist there are too many adjectives here.  Roynish rubbish!  Editors stand back or your roynish fur will fly.

3 comments:

  1. William Shakespeare
    As You Like It - Act 2, Scene 2
    "My lord, the roynish clown, at whom so oft Your grace was wont to laugh, is also missing".
    A fine adjective for clowns, a bane to the marginally sane.
    Also, the roy in roynish is not from the French Roy, king, but from the French rogneux, scab.
    The editor in me, which I cannot suppress, must point out that a novel with demon spawn is not science fiction, but fantasy, a point of great import to the indubitable aficionado. Let the fur fly...
    Is the novel in question by Gene Wolfe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told a friend that I was reading a fantasy and he wanted to know if it was like, you know, Behind the Green Door, or something. So science fiction sounds less risque in this big 12-person market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I were to choose between a prurient friend or an aficionado blood relative, I know who I would cater to...

    ReplyDelete