Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fat Tuesday


The Mount Waumbek hike was not just a walk in the woods.
It was icy, shockingly bitter cold, and required hot cocoa to keep going. 
Icy road, icy trail, icy branches.
Fortunately, the microspikes worked very well the whole way.
I had a new turtle fur to keep the neck and nose warm.
And I remembered to pack the cocoa.  There was just enough time before freezing at the summit to drink a whole thermos full, stuff in some cheese and an egg, pack up and descend while chewing.
One nice view almost made the trip worthwhile.  But I am rethinking this winter hiking business. 

These are for celebrating Fat Tuesday:
Doughnuts, chocolate cake, baked ziti, and turkey enchiladas.
A romance novel, tridoku, the blogosphere.
Hiking overweight with back pain, cold feet, blisters, and knee strain.
Driving on ice and wrecking the car.
On this Fat Tuesday I embrace my mistakes and infirmities.

1 comment:

  1. I was glad to see you posted this morning and was not recuperating in a hospital some where. Could say I told you so, but what is the point. Knee strain, overweight, romance novels sound like my cup of tea. However the hot chocolate sounds good too. Really you wrecked the car?

    ReplyDelete