Monday, August 23, 2010

August 23

Trains, T's and Automobiles

Yesterday I parked the car at the train station, rode the train and then got on the subway to see a friend from Bangladesh who's visiting family in Boston. It was rainy, dark and dreary. The Red Sox were rain delayed at Fenway.
"Have a good day," I tell the ticket taker.
He looks at me gruffly. "I'll decide what kind of day I'll have."

The train seats were such that all the passengers rode backwards. I was occupied with tying a friendship bracelet for my friend, of course, and it was rainy and dreary, so the bushes surrounding the tracks that had grown to monstrous proportions did not really make that much of an impression. I did, however, notice the graffiti on the trains going the opposite direction.

Upon the arrival in North Station, the subway, the T, was the next immediate concern. Find it, buy tickets, get to the Prudential district for tea. T for tea. Time was ticking. At first it was confusing that I should go inbound, because hadn't I been going inbound all along? It seemed that the outbound course would be the most appropriate one. But after studying the map, continuing inbound would be the correct direction.

There on the T was a knight in chain mail, plugging his ears. He suffered from the weight of the chains and the screeching of the wheels against the rails.

So, in summary:

1. The seats on the train all look to the past.

2. If you want tea, take the inbound route.

3. The knight in shining armour suffers from his chain mail.

4. If you want a friend in this world, learn how to tie friendship bracelets or

get yourself a dog.

1 comment:

  1. I like that ticket taker guy. I usually say, "No thanks, I have other plans."

    ReplyDelete