Sunday, August 8, 2010

August 8

Walks during this time of year, especially through the open fields that lie beyond the woods behind the house, share space with all the summer wildflowers. The goldenrod are blooming. During one of these late summer walks some years ago, my throat narrowed, eyes began to itch, sounds of wheezing like an old dog started up.

It must be the goldenrod.
This year Hubby corrected me when I came home sniffling, "Goldenrod is bee-pollinated."
"Yeah, so?" I say in my head-swiveling mode.
"It's pollinated by bees," he repeats louder.
"I heard you. But it doesn't mean anything to me. Don't say it louder, explain it. Please."
He starts over, "You'd need to be sniffing the plant up close like a bee in order for the pollen to make you react with allergies."
"I didn't do that."
"Ragweed grows next to goldenrod and blooms at the same time. It's wind pollinated," he said.
Sure enough. The wind carries the ragweed pollen right to my nasal doorstep. Now I can sniff goldenrod to my delight and blame the results on the ragweed. How does he know this stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment